2/10/2013

Giving comfort

 
This is me comforting Mushboy's Icelandic Tahkoe.  She had just had a saddle malfunction and was a bit worried.  She was being lunged and her saddle started slipping off to the side.  Seems the saddle pad was not allowing for a snug cinching because of her mutton withers.  Boy can I empathize with that! 
The DOR had been riding me with an impact gel pad that she thought I would really like.  The saddle was a bit loose, caused by the fact that the pad was thick and I am mutton withered.  When she went to dismount the saddle rolled clear under my belly.  I started doing the spider dance, snorting and hopping up and down.  Remember this is when I first came to live with the DOR.  Luckily the Horse Guardian was there to help us and it all turned out okay.
So while the Rodeo Rider set the saddle in place and re-cinched I gave comfort to Tahkoe and told her that humans are sometimes goofy.  I reminded her that saddles can't hurt us.  I explained how mutton withers make cinching hard sometimes and that if she would blow out her air it would help.  I was pleased with how well she was listening.  Then as the Rodeo Rider went to snug up the cinch Tahkoe took in a deep breath and held it, smirking at the same time.  The little stinker was going to see if the saddle would roll when the Rodeo Rider went to mount.  He lead her over to the mounting bock and instead of stepping into the stirrup he just swung his leg over....well played Rodeo Rider, well played.  Tahkoe was a bit miffed that her prank failed.
I have a feeling that these two are going to be trying to out fox each other often in the future.
Enjoy your day and don't forget to hug your DOR!

0 comments:

 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates