12/04/2008

Skywatch Friday No. 21


This is a series of photos of the oak tree taken at 4:30 in the evening. Boy is it getting dark early.

When I was six I came to live with my grandparents while my dad finished his doctoral program and got ready to move up to Washington for a job. I rode up in my grandpa's truck, loaded with our possesions, with my uncle Buck driving and my aunt Betty navigating. I was in the middle and got to "shift gears" (grandpa would scream if he knew that!).We arrived at my grandparents and the first thing I remember is spying the biggest tree I had ever seen. Now I know I had been at my grandparent's house before, I just have no memory of it prior to arriving in the truck with my aunt and uncle. We arrived on my seventh birthday, my grandma made a pink bunny cake and I got a necklace with a blue heart surrounded by "diamonds"-I felt like a princess.

I remember going out after eating cake and standing at the trunk of the oak tree, looking up. While the leaves were green, it was much like these photos. I thought the tree reached clear to heaven and that if I could just climb up in the branches I would be able to see God. I just had to figure out how to get up into that tree...



Please go visit the other great Skywatch participants at SkyWacth Friday There are wonderful photos from all around the world!

24 comments:

Grey Horse Matters said...

Great shots, what a beautiful tree. I hate when it gets dark this early too.

Anonymous said...

At first glance, I thought the photo was an abstract design. Very striking looking up through the branches, and a great story to go with it. Thanks for joining us in skywatch this week.

Strawberry Lane said...

What great memories ... and all centered around that fantastic tree.
Dramatic photos!

Many thanks for your comments and suggestions you gave to me about my dreadful worries with Royal and laminitis. You were so helpful.

Sharon said...

Great photos and a lovely trip down memory lane. Thanks for sharing.

Sharon

Jackie said...

beautiful shot. Oh my jack you are quite good with a camera!!:-)

Powell River Books said...

I love the blues in all the pictures. Such a calming colour. And I enjoyed hearing your story. My post won't be up until after midnight, but I invite you to come see some of the clouds over Powell Lake tomorrow. -- Margy

Connie T. said...

I like these, love the color.

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

ks soft of dreamy and a little bit spooky :)

~Lisa
New Mexico

Laughing Orca Ranch said...

I meant to type in Looks soft and dreamy.....my keyboard is on blitz!

~Lisa
New Mexico

vincibene said...

Wonderful shots, I love the silhouettes of the big tree!

Lakshmi said...

lovely pics and a great story to go with it

Cindy said...

What beautiful photos- they make you feel like you are looking right up into that tree yourself. This is my first visit to your blog but it won't be my last- what an enjoyable place!
My Skywatch post is Here Hope you can stop by.

Indrani said...

So much of memories with those shots!

Amanda said...

Is this that gorgeous tree in your front yard that made my heart lurch when I saw it??

This Is My Blog - fishing guy said...

Jack: Certainly a nice shot through the tree.

Gretchen said...

What a nice series of shots.

Anonymous said...

The blue and black together is stunning! I love your story as well...fits perfectly. happy SWF!

Lavender and Vanilla Friends of the Gardens said...

A lovely story and a great picture with the sky shining through the darkening branches of the tree.
the Oak tree is the epitome of strength and lasting for ever. It impressed on you wonderful memories of your childhood.

Jules said...

Looks very cold and very dramatic!! Love the stories on your blog.

Cactus Jack Splash said...

Amanda,
Yes that is the same tree. It is one of those trees that is pretty year around

Dawn Fine said...

what a fun story..thanks for sharing and love the photos...i love looking up at the clouds thru trees.

Rambling Woods said...

Beautiful colors Jack...

New Rambling Woods Site

Kimmy said...

It is pictures like this that motivate me. True beauty. Thank you so much for sharing.

The Silver Age Sara said...

Just absolutely beautiful.

 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates