9/20/2009

Quote for the week


Horses never lie....

We don't lie, we can't lie. Why would we lie? There is no reason for lying in our world.
Horses will always tell you the truth, even when you don't want to hear it.
The DOR and I have been doing liberty work for a year now. At first I would just do what I darn well pleased, paying no attention to what the DOR wanted. She would get frustrated, but she kept at it. Then I started doing what she asked but only when I felt like it. The DOR wasn't going to give up. Now I am almost as responsive at liberty as I am on the lunge line. You see she has shown herself to be a leader, she has commanded respect, she is confident and in charge. I wouldn't lie to her earlier and act like she was the boss, I told her the truth-she had a way to go still. I won't lie to her now, I know she is the boss and I respect that.
Horses also will tell the truth about what they think of you, think of your behavior, and of your abilities. Sometimes humans ask us to do things we know they aren't ready for, we will try to tell them and sometimes if the relationship is good the human will listen. Sometimes they ask us to do things we aren't ready for, we tell them that too. If the humans don't listen then sometimes things can get ugly.
Wouldn't it be nice if the human world worked the same way?
Enjoy your day and don't forget to hug your DOR

5 comments:

Amanda said...

Annie lies to me everyday! She says I have not fed her yet when I know for a fact I have!!

Anonymous said...

You are so right Jack - I'm working hard with my DOR to get her to listen better, and she's beginning to get it - I feel good about that. Maisie

Cactus Jack Splash said...

LOL Amanda...she isn't lying, she is practicing self-preservation. We horses know to eat up when there is plenty of food, because it could disappear without warning. We do that with our energy too. I have to convince the DOR that I must take it easy most of the time because a lion could appear at any moment and I will need all of my energy to escape. So far it isn't working, I wonder if she cares if I get eaten by a lion?

F.M. said...

Thanks for the comments on my poster! Also, I thank youk for being my second friend! Or whatever it's called.

The Silver Age Sara said...

I'm so glad you and Jack are at that point. How exciting. We're not there yet. Well, we are on the ground but not in the saddle. I'm just going to slow down, work with a different trainer and I feel sure we'll get there. You give me hope.

 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates