5/30/2009

Freedom Speaks Saturday-Holy snake bite


Hi,
It is me, Freedom. I am thinking about taking over Jack's blog once a week to give some advice. Shandi thought it should be called "Grampers gumming", I think that is undignified..I am going to call it Freedom Speaks Saturday.
The DOR says there are a lot of blogs talking about snakes being out. Yep, they are out and they are sneaky little critters. There are snakes at the ranch, what would one expect? Lots of wide open fields, rodents running in the orchards, and plenty of places to hide. The ranch dogs do keep them at a minimum, but they are there just the same.
The DOR isn't fond of finding snakes out on a trail, but that happens too. She had one horse that would stomp a snake, even when she was trying to get the horse to keep moving-that horse really disliked snakes. She has one horse now, Jack, who gets all bug eyed and snorty when the wind rustles dry grass making is sound a bit like a snake. He definitely won't be doing any snake stomping, more like the snake skedaddle.
I have made it this far without snake issues. I have learned if you leave the alone they won't bother you, stay on the trail, make a bit of noise so they know you are coming, and doing the snake repellent dance/shuffle before heading out helps too.
There are some precautions that DORs can take to help protect their horses legs from a snake bite.
A nice settle of leggings helps a bunch. Make sure they are snug, but not tight. Check that the length is right and that they don't interfere with you horse's leg movement.

Ad a nice set of boots to the leggings and you have full-protection on all fours, or at least a good head start. I think that Jack needs the polka dot ones to match his polka dot butt. Again make sure the boots fit well. You also need to check that the boots don't wear a raw spot by spinning around, there are boots out there designed not to spin.
So take safety precautions and have a great ride. In case the unthinkable happens and your horse does happen to get bit these sites has some good first aid advice Horses and Horse Information and Practical Horsekeeping
Life is so good! Oh and Jack told me to remember to say: Enjoy your day and don't forget to hug your DOR

4 comments:

Betty said...

Hello Freedom, I like Freedom Speaks Saturday better then Grampers gumming It is nice to here from you.I only like snake that don't bite. I reallly like your lovely fashions I didn't know they had such nice things for horses I am glad they do because you all deserve them. I guess Jack won't be upset if I send you ~~Hugs and Smooches~~

DeniseinVA said...

Nice to meet you Freedom, interesting post. Stay safe, you and Jack and everyone :)

Daisy said...

Those boots look very stylish!

Florida Beach Basics said...

socks and boots look practical AND stylish - very cool! marge

 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates