5/06/2009

Wordless Wednesday-well not too wordless the old guy has lots to say

Lots of horses are rescued from horrible fates every year by caring people. These are a few of the horses that the DOR and mushboy have rescued in the past few years. There are many others, not that they were not important, but their pictures are on a fried hard drive.



Salty the Wonder Horse, mushboy's first horse.




You know me, Freedom Dancer, the energizer bunny of horses and mushboy's second horse.
This is a little Connemara pony, Nickers. He is teaching little kids to ride.
Harley Darling, he was Jack's best friend.
Hank, he is probably the steadiest horse you will ever meet.


Panikanic, also known as Panik and now known as Nikki. A horse that had her life shattered by humans, but learned to trust again and now is happy and busy.

This is Drumo, Mo. He was slated to be slaughtered a few years ago on Martin Luther King Day, instead he landed with the DOR and was rehabbed. He now owns his own teenager.
Imagine the lost adventures and joy that would have been missed if any one of us had been slaughtered. Heck I wouldn't be here to fill in for Jack. I wish that all unwanted horses get a fairy tale ending, but if they can't I pray they meet a dignified and humane release from this world. A slaughter plant is neither of those.

I do not to gross people out, but I want to share what a horror horse slaughter in North America is. The pictures on this site are graphic, so please do not go there if you have a weak constitution

Life is so good! Oh and Jack told me to remember to say: Enjoy your day and don't forget to hug your DOR

7 comments:

Sherry Sikstrom said...

Thanks for posting the Happy endings , So much negativity in the world ,it is good to hear good people are still doing good work

Dusty Devoe said...

I wish I had the funds and a place to rescue horses. Thanks for caring, and hugs to you Jack!

Caprice- said...

Jack
You, your DOR and mushboy are to be commended for the work you have done. I hope someday to be able to rescue horses. Sandy and Dani would love the company and I would love to do as much good as you all have done.
Caprice

Desert Rose said...

truely amazing, what you and mushboy have done!!!

The Silver Age Sara said...

Oh, I'm so happy to see you all living wonderful, productive, happy lives. How I wish all horses could be loved and cherished.
Horse slaughter is a terrible thing and trucking horses over to Mexico to be killed is horrific. Imagine being crammed into a truck and driven miles away only to arrive and be killed. Disgusting.
Don't get a horse unless you are prepared for the responsibility of owning these magnificent animals. They require time, attention and unfortunately money as well. Killing them shouldn't be part of our mindset.
Okay, I got angry but horses being destroyed makes me angry.
Jack, thanks for all you do for horses everywhere. We love you.

jc said...

The fear in the eyes of those horses is tangible. I am ashamed to be part of the human race sometimes.

Cheryl Ann said...

What is Nikki's story? I sort of remember reading a few posts about her, but my memory isn't what it used to be!

 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates