10/25/2009

Quote for the week

Jack just wait until your chickens come home to roost
~The DOR when I tried to steal treats out of her pocket and nipped her.

The photo is of Freedom's chicken Trudy. She has continued to live in the barn and the surrounding area since the dog attack. I guess that makes her my chicken now, sorry old man. The fact that chickens usually come home to rest and sleep has long been known, but the idea was used figuratively only in 1809, when Robert Southey wrote, "Curses are like young chickens, they always come home to roost" ( The Curse of Kehama).
So why does this phrase mean that consequences of doing wrong always catch up with the wrongdoer? Wouldn't your chickens coming home to roost be a good thing? After all Trudy didn't go home to roost when she wandered away from her original home. Nope she went on a walk-about and ended up in Freedom's paddock and has been at the ranch every since. Seems like the saying should mean that all the things that are yours will stay yours. Besides what does me trying to get my treats out of the DOR's vest pocket have anything to do with chickens?
Now saying "Just wait...bam a big ol' appy hoof upside the head" would be a statement that would mean something bad.
I like our ranch chicken. It is fun having her flit in and out the barn widow. I am careful when she is cleaning up while I eat. So I am thinking that humans need to come up with a different phrase that does not pick on chickens.
Enjoy your day and don't forget to hug your DOR!

3 comments:

mrscravitz said...

To cute! I think The chicken might need her own roost/home? Maybe build a little place for her to get out of the weather in the lean-to also?

Betty said...

Congratulations on your award Jack you deserve it.I think Trudy is a very lovely chicken and you and Freedom are lucky to have a friend that loves you.
~~Hugs and Smooches~~

Desert Rose said...

Better be careful Jack...never bite the hand that feeds you!!!

 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates