10/27/2009

Silly nerves

Here is a basic diagram of a horse's nervous system. It is a complicated system, just like a humans. My fracture appears to be located about two to three inches behind my pole (between the ear and the arch on the neck on the diagram), placing it in a position to raise havoc with all kinds of things. Right now what I am dealing with is common in my type of injury. You see about the time I figure out how to make my legs work the way they should something changes at the injury site that means I have things to learn again. Here is an example: I got to where I could walk, trot, and lope pretty good but my reflexes at pressure points in my hindquarters were almost nonexistent. This weekend my reflexes are back, in fact they are snappier than ever, and now my back legs (especially my right) are moving similar to a camel. You see now I have to adjust to the new way my nerves are firing and learn to move based on that. So has the swelling goes down pressure releases on my spine which in turns changes the way the messages arrive to their destination. So when I have learned to compensated for misfires and the nerve changes the way it fires I have to relearn again.
So it looks like I have a lot of learning to do, followed by relearning, followed by tweaking and adjusting...heck I am going to be learning how to get things together until everything finally settles down. The DOR told me she has no idea how long that will take. I do have some new things added to my therapy to help. I am having energy work done to help my brain get reconnected to my hindend. The DOR is also using "patterning" and other techniques she has used when dealing with her students who have suffered brain and spinal cord injuries.
By the way I would like to inform the DOR that I do not like being locked out of my paddock just so some other horse can use it to recover after being in the barn having their teeth done. It interferes with my ability to mooch treats through the barn window. I am protesting and I want double mooching to be honored tonight-so there!
Enjoy your day and don't forget to hug your DOR!

8 comments:

Florida Beach Basics said...

sounds like you were playing too much football! seriously, we're all so glad you and DOR are working on this together - hang in there.

marge

Powell River Books said...

Such an unusual place to get a fracture. I may have missed a post that explained it all. Keep up with all the therapy, especially the TLC pills and extra-lovin' treats. - Margy

Anonymous said...

Amiable dispatch and this post helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you on your information.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates