6/10/2010

Face your fears


When I was younger, in my teens, I was like most people-I was fearless. Something happened as I got older, I discovered not only could I be hurt but I could be hurt badly. Fear reared its ugly head and started placing limits on what I did.
One of the things Jack has made sure that I learned in this time we have been together is how to face fear. He has taught me how to look my fears in the face and to approach them. Jack has also taught me that you approach and retreat, approach and retreat...pretty soon you are closer to what is causing the fear and staying there longer. Before you know it what was once a fear becomes something you can live with. Jack and I have worked through fears together, his fears and my fears. After Jack's werehorse indecent where I was hurt badly there was fear to overcome for sure. The fear on my part was so deep I knew if I couldn't face it that I would never ride Jack again. Jack was patient and very careful with me as I relied on him and my friends to help me work through the deepest fear I had ever felt. In the process our relationship developed from a surface one to a partnership where we worked together, not two separate beings just hanging out. He has also taught me that sometimes dealing with fear means waiting for a better time to face it. I have become a wiser about dealing with fear with the lessons Jack has taught me. He has made me a braver more confident being.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

6/9
Dear Jack,
I don't know about you, but my therapy is making me sore. Today it was hard to want to do the exercises, but then I thought about the promise I made to you...to do my therapy too. Shandi misses you, but the other horses are taking good care of her. Free left for her new place today, it will be different not seeing her at the gate each day.
I hope you are getting lots of hugs and smooches...I miss you Boogie.
Love the DOR

3 comments:

Once Upon an Equine said...

Timely post. Thank you. I had my first spill yesterday since becoming a "return rider". A trip to the ER and home popping pain killers today. I don't bounce like I used to. Yesterday I wanted to run from the storm, but I hope I can take your advice and learn to dance in the rain. I like that.

Tammy Vasa said...

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Wonderful, wonderful quote... Thanks for sharing.

Jocelyn said...

Man, can I relate to that, I had a very serious accident June of 2006.
Ileft with a deep paralyzing fear of ever riding again.

I SOLD that horse and it still remained. Going out and doing these endurance rides has cured me about 80%, it's still there but it just takes ALOT of time.

I dont take any ride for granted.
Good For you to get back in the saddle and find your mojo.

 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates